I’m going to be making some changes to the server. I recently had my server “hacked”, which was basically just some skiddie finding a way to post one of those pharmaceutical spam ads on a couple of my WordPress sites.
I’m taking this time to figure out a couple of things. The plan is:
- figure out how to use Let’s Encrypt for HTTPS (for TTORP, the Story Teller Forum, and my Fitness Forum).
- find a way to deploy + update WP sites via git (including initial setup)
- work on a better CMS for Crazed(Sanity) sites
- update my “deploy” system to work with GitHub and generic git (not just BitBucket.org)
That’s actually quite a bit of stuff. It’s going to take a while to get this all setup. It’s equally possible that I’ll post about impending downtime as I am to simply just do it: pretty much all my sites are (extremely) low traffic. So, there, I said it.
UPDATE, April 13, 2017
I’ve started migrating some of the sites. I’ve also started to get some SSL certificates, but ran into an issue with a “rate limit” on LetsEncrypt.org… which apparently means I have to wait for a week before getting more. (This really means nothing right now, since none of my sites previously used SSL.)
Unfortunately, my main website (crazedsanity.com) is old and not really built to be moved around. I’ve apparently relied on large amounts of server magic to make it work in the past, along with some not-so-easy-to-debug errors (like a script reporting that it doesn’t exist when accessed directly, because… reasons).
I’m hoping to have all the issues ironed out soon and finish the migration. Then I can finally get on to playing with new tools and coding languages for reals.